Teaching Philosophy

The following text below is a section from an assignment from my Education Foundations course (EDEF 3200) in which we were tasked with finding a quote related to education philosophy and writing about the influence it would have on our practice as an educator. Dr. Greene is a foundational, to me, writer on the subject of kids who present challenging behaviors.

Education Philosophy Quote

“You [the teacher] do have some vital, unshakable elements to rely on. A philosophy: Kids (and adults) do well if they can” (Greene, 2008, p. 280).

Dr. Greene’s philosophy is simple, but honest: no person wishes, truly, to not do well. As educators it is our imperative to trust that a student recognizes that they are not doing well, and to work with them to get them to a pathway toward success. This means we assist them as best as we are able. In practice this first means we as educators value any improvement regardless of the scale. The second point is that we must see any other behavior that does not lead them to success as self-imposed, emotional protection. At some time in their past, they learned this behavior to manage expectations of others, to avoid the activity, or some other third option beyond success or failure. If the student could do more already by themself, then they would have already done it.

If a student comes into my classroom, they will be treated with empathy. I will respect any small step towards achievement that occurs, even if that is their attendance after a period of absence. The second thing I will always try is to empathetically evaluate the reason for ‘why’ when a student shows aggressive or avoidant behavior. The philosophy of ‘they are trying their best to survive this experience’ is a guiding strategy and thought framework. We slow down, we become more empathic, we ask what is happening in their situation, and we try to create a relationship of trust and understanding. It is, after all, what any of us would want if we were in their situation.

Greene, R. W. (2008). Lost at school: Why our kids with behavioral challenges are falling through the cracks and how we can help them. Simon & Shuster. 280.