Identity Assignment

This is part two of a two-part assignment for Social Studies. The first part wasn’t recorded, rather it was a discussion about who I am and where I am from, as it relates to the beginning of the course. The second part was recorded (after I discovered how to use Loom) and it can be found here: link.

Identity Assignment Part 2

At the start of the semester we were tasked to think about and create a cultural artifact, art piece, or to utilize an already cultivated object and relate it to identity.

I chose to use a sharing stick to represent two things: the number of teachers in my life and how each teacher helped me in creating the stick. The second reason I created a sharing stick is that I wanted something I could use in my classroom as part of my practice. I did not want something that would just sit on my shelf.

With help from my family, we created a sharing stick, and I tried my best to incorporate the ideas and ideals of all aspects of my family’s teaching practice in this stick. The reason it’s called a sharing stick and not a talking stick, is that sometimes what we need to share with others is not our voice, but just our presence.

In the end, my sharing stick turned out great!