My Influences Part 1

This is a video that was created for my Educational Foundations course in the first semester at Thompson River University that details my educational influences.

While not as important as the subject matter, one of the first things I noticed is just how ‘wild’ my Covid hair and beard is in the video. As time moves on, we’ll all look back and chuckle at these small things when we are back to a more stable ‘new normal.’

In terms of the video’s material, however, it remains true that my mother is my dominant influence in becoming an educator. My father was a superintendent, and my stepmother was a principal, but my mother is a lifelong teacher: she teaches for the joy of teaching. She enjoys making students’ lives better and works mostly with student’s who need extra behavioral support. There is just a level of comprehensive understanding that she brings into every situation, a person-focussed approach for students, and a focus on students with disabilities so they can have the skills, network, and community to flourish in their post-secondary world. If I can bring some of that understanding and empathy to my own practice, then I will be an excellent educator and mentor.

The video is a highlight of one specific person that was my influence. For a look at other influences in my decision to become an educator, please go to the link labelled as part two.