FPPL Reflection and Link

The following is a reflection on the First Peoples Principles of Learning (FPPL). The link to the primary blog is included here: link. It is a collection of principals created through a committee process about the values and teaching pedagogy of Indigenous people and has become a guiding process for whether lessons, units, and curriculum is of a strong quality within British Columbia and within my personal work.

Reflection

The First Peoples Principles of Learning is simply good practice to the point of it being universally so, but it is important to recognize the indigenous roots of this good practice. While I’ve only seen these principles recently, I am excited to utilize these principles in my own practice. These principles are a core part of every section of my teacher candidate education and my lesson planning. In fact, one of the first teaching resources I made certain to acquire was a poster of the principles so that students and visitors know I stand by these principles.

This is a picture of the Principles of Learning and it came secondhand, but it’s an excellent start for my eventual classroom.